Gillett Assumes Role as Lowell Interim Dean

By Meg P. Bernhard, Crimson Staff Writer

Rachel A. Gillett, an assistant director of studies for the Committee on Degrees in History and Literature, assumed the role of interim House dean for Lowell House on Nov. 3 after current dean Caitlin M. Casey ’03 took a maternity leave.

Gillett was tapped for the position about a month ago, after a search that had begun in mid-August, according to Diana L. Eck, one of Lowell’s House masters. Eck also said Gillett had worked with Casey on the History and Literature committee, adding that the house had been considering senior tutors for the position. Gillett was not previously affiliated with Lowell.

“She is so genial and also very professional,” Eck said, noting that Gillett’s administrative experience in History and Literature already gives her a “pretty good sense of some of the crises that come up in students’ schedules this time of year.”

Eck said that the transition has been “pretty smooth,” and Gillett has already held “intensive office hours.”

Gillett said that her first week on the job has been busy, but like other resident deans, she hopes to “serve students, be a part of the community, and really be a valuable resource.”

“It’s been a bit of a whirlwind,” Gillett said. “It has given me such a phenomenal respect for resident deans. They are such allies for their students.”

Gillett, who is originally from New Zealand, studies French colonial history and is currently working on a book concerning African American jazz musicians in France during the 1920s. She will be joined by her husband and 18-month-old daughter.

—Staff writer Meg P. Bernhard can be reached at meg.bernhard@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @Meg_Bernhard.

CollegeHouse LifeLowellHistory and LiteratureCollege News