Cambridge’s Weed Policy Prioritized Social Justice. Some Dispensary Owners Say It’s Left Them High and Dry.

Dining Halls, Hygiene Dept Fall into Red

Treasurer's Report Discloses $198,000 Surplus for Year; Dining Hall Deficit $76,000

By Frank B. Gilbert

The Dining Halls and the Hygiene Department both fell into the red last year, according to the Financial Report just issued. The Dining Halls went from a surplus of $17,000 in 1949-50 to a deficit of $76,000.

In spite of these losses, Harvard showed an overall surplus of $196,000, but this represented a decrease of $625,000 from the previous year. Total expenditures mounted to $32,130,000--up more than $2,600,000.

University officials reported yesterday that there are no plans at present to raise the dining hall charges but added that they would begin considering a rise if the September and October balance sheets show a serious loss.

Since University contracts and purchases are set on a long term basis, the full effect of the inflation, caused by the Korean crisis, was not shown in the report which covered the period ending last June 30. Major concerns now are a possible decrease in enrollment with little chance for a major jump in receipts.

A typical department last year was the Faculty of Arts and Sciences which includes the College and the G.S.A.S. A 1950 profit of $770,000 fell to $182,000. With total income declining slightly because of smaller tuition payments, the major change was a rise in expenses from $8,316,000 to $8,821,000.

The increase in expenses was well spread out among the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Salaries to professors and administrative officers were up $155,000 to $3,746,000, and scholarships amounted to $967,000--over $85,000 more than the previous year.

The Hygiene Department showed a $13,000 deficit, while two years ago its surplus was $31,000. The Athletic Association losses reached $316,000, $20,000 below the estimate announced last spring.

Among the graduate departments, the Law School fell $85,000 to a deficit of $31,000. The Medical School profit dropped $50,000 to a $42,000 total, but this surplus was achieved once again by the use of large amounts of money that may be employed anywhere in the sciences.

During the year, the University received $9,665,000 in gifts of which $5,058,000 were for capital